The Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet product line includes seven dry recipes.
Each recipe below includes its related AAFCO nutrient profile when available on the product’s official webpage: Growth, Maintenance, All Life Stages, Supplemental or Unspecified.
- Canine Caviar Free Spirit Entree [A]
- Canine Caviar Open Meadow Entree [A]
- Canine Caviar Open Sky Grain Free Entree [A]
- Canine Caviar Special Needs Entree (2 stars) [M]
- Canine Caviar Leaping Spirit Grain Free Entree [A]
- Canine Caviar Grain Free Puppy Entree (5 stars) [A]
- Canine Caviar Wild Ocean Grain Free Entree (5 stars) [A]
Canine Caviar Open Meadow Entree Limited Ingredient Diet was selected to represent the other products in the line for this review.
Estimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content
Ingredients: Lamb meal, pearl millet, lamb fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), coconut, sun-cured alfalfa, coconut oil, sun-cured kelp, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, sodium chloride, lecithin, choline chloride, FOS or fructooligosaccharide (prebiotic), fenugreek, peppermint, taurine, zinc proteinate, papaya, rose hips, Yucca schidigera extract, anise oil, thyme oil, manganese proteinate, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, selenium, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid
|Estimated Nutrient Content|
|Dry Matter Basis||27%||16%||49%|
|Calorie Weighted Basis||24%||34%||42%|
The first ingredient in this dog food is lamb meal. Lamb meal is considered a meat concentrate and contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh lamb.
The second ingredient is millet, a gluten-free grain harvested from certain seed grasses. Millet is hypoallergenic and naturally rich in B-vitamins and fiber as well as other essential minerals.
The third ingredient is lamb fat. Lamb fat is obtained from rendering lamb, a process similar to making soup in which the fat itself is skimmed from the surface of the liquid.
Lamb fat is high in linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid essential for life. Although it doesn’t sound very appetizing, lamb fat is actually a quality ingredient.
The fourth and sixth ingredients are coconut and coconut oil.
Depending upon the quality of the raw material, coconut is rich in medium chain fatty acids.
Medium-chain triglycerides have been shown to improve cognitive function in older dogs.1
Because of its proven safety2 as well as its potential to help in the treatment of canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS) and chronic skin disorders, MCT can be considered a positive addition to this recipe.
The fifth ingredient is sun-cured alfalfa. Although alfalfa is high in protein (18%) and fiber, it’s uncommon to see it used in a dog food. This hay-family ingredient is more commonly associated with horse feeds.
The seventh ingredient is dried kelp, a dehydrated form of seaweed also known as alginate. Kelp is most likely used here as a thickening or gelling agent.
From here, the list goes on to include a number of other items.
But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of this product.
With two notable exceptions…
First, this recipe contains fructooligosaccharide, an alternative sweetener3 probably used here as a prebiotic. Prebiotics function to support the growth of healthy bacteria in the large intestine.
And lastly, this food includes chelated minerals, minerals that have been chemically attached to protein. This makes them easier to absorb. Chelated minerals are usually found in better dog foods.
Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet Dog Food
The Bottom Line
Judging by its ingredients alone, Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet looks like an above-average dry product.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 27%, a fat level of 16% and estimated carbohydrates of about 49%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 29% and a mean fat level of 17%. Together, these figures suggest a carbohydrate content of 46% for the overall product line.
And a fat-to-protein ratio of about 60%.
Near-average protein. Near-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.
When you consider the protein-boosting effect of the sun-cured alfalfa, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing a moderate amount of meat.
Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet is a plant-based dry dog food using a moderate amount of named meats as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 4 stars.
Please note certain recipes are sometimes given a higher or lower rating based upon our estimate of their total meat content and (when appropriate) their fat-to-protein ratios.